THOU SHALL NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS AGAINST THY NEIGHBOR!
God is Truth and Values Honesty!
Be trustworthy and maintain integrity by being honest
Lying can take the form of:
- False accusations
Liars cannot be trusted and even when a liar tells the truth; he or she may not be believed. The Bible forbids attempting to deceive God!
- What will protect us from lies and falsehood? Proverbs 30:8 (Wisdom); Exodus 3:21 (Keeping away from Gossip); Proverbs 10:18
- Does God hate lying? Proverbs 6:19;
- What does God say about false testimony? Proverbs 12:17-19
- How does God perceive gossip? Proverbs 11:9
- Can lying lead to destruction? Proverbs 13:2-5
- Are kings and queens protected? Can they lie? Proverbs 16:10,13 (Honesty)
- What about in a court of law? Proverbs 19:28
- Can one lie if one is starving? Proverbs 20:17
- Can one falsify a loan application? Proverbs 21:6
- Is flirting lying when one is married? Proverbs 22:14; 30:20
- Is this generation worse than the past for lying? Proverbs 30:12,13
What will happen in the final days to liars?
- What happens when one lies to the Holy Spirit? Acts 5:1-11
- What does Jesus say about lying? Matthew 12:35-37; John 14:6
- Is there ever a time when lying is condoned by God? Yes!
Joshua 2:1-6; 6:17-25 Why?
- Rahab honoured God by preserving the lives of the spies
- Rahab knew God’s will and His plans for the Israelites
- She chose to obey the principles that honour God’s will
- One must know God’s will before following God’s will
Truth-telling people can be trusted
Application of honesty and truth nurtures relationships
Honesty fosters communities that are functional and enriching
Posted in , Campfire Bible Studies by Sharon with no comments yet.