Ten Commandments 3
Gods Commandments to Mankind!
Campfire Bible Study
Reading: Romans 3:1-24, Ps 111:9
God’s Name is Holy, Powerful and Glorious!
DO NOT MISUSE GOD’S NAME!
#III: THOU SHALT NOT TAKE THE NAME OF THE LORD
THY GOD IN VAIN!
VAIN:(Ineffective, hopeless, unsuccessful, unproductive, futile,
useless, abortive, worthless!)
Recent Poll: 78% of all Americans could not name 2 Commandments
There is power in the LORD’s name and it should not be used lightly. Because God is Spirit, we know Him through what He says about Himself; to take His name in vain violates God’s nature. As God’s creation, everything a person says and does should be done in order to praise and glorify God!
(Sacrilege, Profanity, Disrespect, Wickedness, Irreverence)
- Sacrilege: (John 10:33) Why was Jesus accused of blasphemy? He claimed to be God! Matthew 26:63-68
- Profanity: (Leviticus 24:10-16) When cursing God in the OT what happened to the person? Shelomith was taken outside the camp and stoned to death. (James 3:5-12) 339,000,000 hits on the internet when typing in “Oh My God”. What is the one part of our body that is capable of evil and poison and can easily corrupt a person? We are taught in the Bible that what we say is very important it is a glimpse into who we are.
Blasphemy Against the Holy Spirit:
Blasphemy involves an utterance or action that purposefully defames God. Blasphemies against God are prohibited by the 3rd Commandment!
Disrespect: (Matthew 5:33-35,37) Can we swear, a little? NO! (Matthew 27:39-44) Mocking Jesus on the cross. Will we be accountable for what we say, on judgement day?
- Irreverence: (Matthew 12:31-37; Luke 12:10) What did Jesus mean when He said “every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven? (Isaiah 63:10) Became God’s enemy for rebelling against the Holy Spirit. (Ephesians 4:29,30) These verses forbid corrupt communication, instruct profitable discourse, assign as a motive the good of others, and reverence for the Holy Spirit.—Wesley Commentary on Ephesians.
(Ephesians 2:8-10) Give credit to God not self! (John 17:3) Salvation from God through Jesus! (Jude 1:4, Mark 3:30) Giving credit what is due God/Jesus to something or someone else. The accusers in Mark 3 are insisting Jesus’ Spirit (the Holy Spirit) was motivated by evil (Satan). The point seems to be not in name calling, because name calling will be forgiven, but in the ramifications of their words could cause those speaking to Jesus to reject God’s offer of salvation.
Why will Blasphemy Against the Holy Spirit Not be Forgiven?
Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit
is tied to one of the Spirit’s most important works: Salvation/Revelation. In the end, it is the Spirit of Truth, the Spirit of Revelation who must turn the minds and hearts of the human race. If we do not listen to Him, we shall never receive Christ, and if we never receive Christ, God will never forgive us!
Because the Holy Spirit is God’s final witnessof Christ and His salvation. Whatever one may say of Christ, if the whisper of the Spirit in the ear or the shout of God’s voice in creation and history is ignored fully and finally, there can be no forgiveness, because there will be no regeneration, no conversion, no repentance.
- Should we fear using God’s name? (Matthew 28:19) Yes, with reverent fear! (Mark 16:17) Does God want us to use His name? (John 14:13;16:23) Acts 3:6:
- Give credit to Jesus when He heals!
GOD WANTS US TO USE HIS NAME:
IT IS HOLY AND POWERFUL!
RESPECTING THE NAME OF THE LORD IS THE KEY!!!
Rest on God’s Promises!
This is at the very least a two week study, but can be shortened
by the individual teachers or extended, based on timelines!
Posted in Campfire Bible Studies by Sharon with no comments yet.
Leave a Reply