It was one of the worse storms Toronto had seen in a very long time.  We had just left friends after a quiet dinner and good conversation.  It wasn’t until we exited the underground parking garage that we realized we would be driving for over two hours in a killer snowstorm.  We should have turned back……..

I drove while my husband diligently watched the road and we crawled our way through the city to the dreaded 401 Highway.  It was very busy with trucks rushing to get ahead of the winter storm that was now fully upon the city.  When we reached a six lane section of the highway, there were deep ruts of ice carved into the road by the larger trucks.  The trenchs threw our car from side to side, while this driver fought to maintain control. 

At Port Hope, my husband had to have a “pit stop”.  We pulled into a Timmy’s donut shop and when he returned to the car, he asked me if I wanted him to drive the rest of the way home.  I had a death grip on the steering wheel.  It was clear to me I had to keep going.  My past history was predominantly to willingly give up the driving; however, my fingers were firmly implanted wrapped around that wheel and I did not want to let go of the responsibility to take us home.  We pulled out of the parking lot and knew right away we were in danger.  There were great big flakes falling.  Under other circumstances we would have appreciated the beauty of the snow.  No one wants to drive in it. 

My husband asked if we were going back to the 401 and I said, “No, we are taking Hwy2”.  Hwy2 is a secondary road with the same destination:  home!  After we left the city, it was very, very dark without the benefit of street lights.  The snow closed in around us and there were no tracks from previous traffic to follow.  The snow fell constantly, blowing and swirling all around the car as we inched our way through the piling snow toward home.  My husband periodically stuck his head out the passenger window to find the mailboxes, making sure I avoided the ditch. 

I was tense.  My fingers were white on the steering wheel.  My back ached from sitting erect in the drivers seat and my eyes burned from staring directly ahead.  This was not a good situation we found ourselves in, but we were committed to getting home.  Suddenly, a peace came over me, a calmness, warm and comforting, and I could feel my body relaxing.  I felt long, white feathers circle me, from behind, wrapping me in a loving strength that surpassed all understanding.  I knew I was protected and safe.

Several hours later we pulled into our driveway at the apartment complex in Belleville and we were home!  I was not tired or stressed; just warm and safe!  The snow continued to fall all night, but the next morning I had to take a friend to the doctor a block away from our home.  It was a cold, bright, clear day and no snow fall.  We were driving perhaps five minutes to the doctors and five minutes back.  As we turned into our driveway, the steering wheel of the car fell off the consel and plunked down in my lap.  The car stopped immediately.  My friend and I looked at each other and she said, “Did you say you drove home last night in that storm?”

“Yes,” I replied, but I did not drive this car alone……I was guided by the hand of God.  He sent His angel to comfort and guide me and it was His hand on the steering wheel!


Psalms 91:4

Posted in Testimonies by with no comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *